I just finished watching “The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.” last week. All Two seasons, plus the Netflix special. It’s so~~~~ good! I wish it never ended, lol. Anyways, in the show, the male lead has a crazy obsession over coffee jelly which got me questioning…”What does that even taste like?”, “What’s the big deal?”, you know?
A couple hours later after the show finished, and six coffee jelly later…here we are. How do I describe it?. Honestly, it tastes just like coffee, but in jello form. Maybe I should also mention that I’m not a very big coffee fan. However, having coffee in this form makes my taste buds really happy!. Normally, I can not tolerate bitter coffee because even if I add sugar to my coffee, the bitterness is still quite strong. In this jelly form, however, the bitterness is somehow more pleasant, but still strong….am I making any sense here??. You just have to try it!.
They make a really nice dessert by adding whipped cream and a piece of mint on top, but you can also prepare them like normal coffee with cream. There are many ways to enjoy coffee jelly, and that is just two of them!. So, here we go!.
Japanese Coffee Jelly
- 400ml Favorite brewed Coffee
- 2 Tbsp Sugar (or as preferred)
- 1 bag (5g) Gelatin powder
- Cream of choice
- (Optional) whipped cream, sweet mint leaf
- With the brewed coffee, stir in about 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add in the powdered gelatin and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into 3 or 4 glass cups.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, or until harden.
- Enjoy it with whipped cream, coffee cream, etc. Any way you like it!.